The Adventures of Duncan Hunter

The Adventures of Duncan Hunter

Friday, September 16, 2016

The Adventures of Duncan Hunter

It is not an unfair analysis that like me, Duncan Hunter was largely a typical boy with typical 1950s parents.  When you're a kid you don't know what is abnormal unless you see something that is clearly outside your world of normal.  Living in Germany in the 1960s I came aware of airplanes and cars.  Our next door neighbor drove a light blue Corvette Stingray.  1963 "split-window."  It was the most beautiful car I had ever seen, and it was next door!  I obviously smeared the man's windows when I tried to look inside.  All the time.  No garage, it sat outside.  I saw the German cars, some French cars.  By comparison, there was no comparison to the Corvette.  Then a 1964 black Jaguar XKE showed up on the base, then a red 1965 Mustang.  A 1959 Mercedes SL and a 1963 Porsche 356 were very nice.  But for me, it was over.  The Jag and the Corvette were the cars.  Sleek and fast.  V-8 and V-12 noisemakers.  In addition to building airplane models, I started building car models of my favorite cars.

On Sundays I'd get a dime to buy a comic.  More adventures with Superman and Spiderman.  There is no doubt I had one of the original Spiderman comics in my possession.  And then, with the Hardy Boys, the adventure and mystery bug was firmly planted in my head.  I knew the Corvette owner was a pilot.  So was the Jag's owner.  Seemed to be part of a club that only the adults understood.
At Ramstein, I was allowed to run free.  Few places were off limits as I rode my bike all over the heavily forested air base.  With freedom came a sense of the adventurousness I found in the books that my mother and I would get when we visited the library.  That adventurousness nearly killed me one day when I tried to walk across a frozen pond.  When I found myself at the bottom of the pond, I was more surprised than panicked.  I distinctly remember that the hole in the ice high above my head shone like a yellow beacon.  Like I would push off from the bottom of the base swimming pool, I pushed off from the bottom of the pond and I shot straight up through that hole like a submarine’s emergency blow and breaching the surface.  It’s one of the few memories that is still very clear in my old mind.   I busted ice with my elbows and clawed my way across the ice to get out of the freezing water.  I was hypothermic; shivering uncontrollably, and I didn’t really know I close I came to dying.  But I lived through it.  A new car to discover, a new jet to identify, and living through a near-death experience was the essence of adventure for a kid.  My experiences are where Duncan Hunter get's his sense of adventure.
Maverick out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment