The Adventures of Duncan Hunter

The Adventures of Duncan Hunter

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Duncan Hunter's Political Awakening

I left the Marine Corps to attend college.  Enrolled at the University of Colorado.  I had been accepted at the Denver, Colorado Springs, and Boulder campuses.  I thought Boulder would be a nice beautiful place to live and study.  As I toured the school, I encountered a phalanx of filthy dope-smelling hippies.  Nasty critters.  They didn’t want any part of me with my short haircut and they were more than vocal that a baby killer like myself would never be welcome in Boulder.  That day was the beginning of my political awakening.  I went to school at the Denver campus.

A year later I was back in the Marine Corps.  I soon received an officer’s commission and I headed to Pensacola for flight school.  Three years later I was scheduled for my first flight in the F-4 Phantom.  The date was January 28, 1986.  My instructor and I walked to our jet one hour after the Space Shuttle Challenger broke apart, 73 seconds after liftoff.  After countless hours in the simulator, I flew that jet like a pro.  My instructor even accused me of being an Air Force pilot.  How many people can say they attained one of their childhood dreams?  But my dreams of flying the F-4 soon turned into a nightmare. 

In the high G environment of dogfighting, my hands and feet would go numb, and I would lose my sense of touch.  The coordinated use of stick, throttle and rudder is all a function of touch and as long as I wasn’t pulling Gs, I was a fairly stellar pilot.  However, in a high-G environment, I couldn’t feel what I was doing and I had suddenly become very dangerous to my fellow pilots.  No more supersonic jets.  Goodbye F-4 pilot.  Hello aircraft maintenance officer.  I was off to fly a desk.  Oh joy.  I needed a distraction and if you can no longer fly the big badass jets, yellow Corvette convertibles are wonderful things.

Next, life after jets.

Maverick out!

No comments:

Post a Comment